Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Year, New Me...er, um BLOG!


Well, HELLO! I'm so excited to be blogging on my new layout designed by Kristin, over at Teaching in a Nutshell. Isn't it adorable? Don't you want to pinch that little shredded wheat guy's cheeks? Sigh, so happy. I'm going to have to come up with a name for him, dontcha think? Suggestions welcome.

Along with this blog redesign, I'm also celebrating 500 followers on Teachers Pay Teachers and Instagram!! I'm so thrilled with all of my new friends and all of the support I've received over the past couple of months. This whole journey has been such a labor of love. I decided that in 2015 I would invest as much time as possible in the things that make me truly happy. Blogging and TpT made the cut because creating...teaching...planning...they're my favorite hobbies. How lucky am I that they also just so happen to be my job? So enough about me lets get to the freebies! My students are working on    "Making Ten" and "Taking from Ten". (First Grade: Module 2, EngageNY) I've designed a number of centers to support some of the skills they need extra practice with.
This little cupcake of mine is working on Making Ten when one of the addends is 8 or 9. While many of my students understand that 9+5=14 they struggle to represent and explain how they arrived at that answer. I found the cupcake erasers, felt tub, and larger caddy all at the Dollar Spot at Target. But, let's be honest, you could use any counters and all of the items for this center fit neatly in a plastic bag for easy storage. If you're like me though, you're already planning your trip to Target tomorrow. It's a sickness isn't it? #thestruggleisreal
This next center focuses on the same skill but the task is a little different. Now the students must match the equation with correct ten frame representation/solution. Again, the counters, felt tub, and larger caddy are all from the Dollar Spot at Target. Click on either picture to download both centers from my TpT store.
I've also been working hard on a new unit that also focuses on the Make Ten Strategy. Except this time around the students are working with 3 addends. This always throws a few of my kids for a loop so I decided the more centers the better.
My students have been using these centers for the past week and loving them. Isn't it funny how the same equations and problem solving strategies once caused groans and tears but once you add "meatballs" (aka brown pom poms) and cute graphics (Krista Wallden from Creative Clips- LOVE HER) the tasks now seem fun?! ARE YOU LISTENING ENGAGENY??? Sorry, I digress but sometimes I wonder if the friends who wrote this particular curriculum have ever met, let alone, taught, a first grader. Sheesh. 
I have so much more to share and so much more in store for my milestone celebration. Thanks so much for all of your support, if you've been here since the beginning, and thank you so much for taking the time to stop and visit, if you're new! I hope you've all found something you can use in your own classrooms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment